Tuesday, 17 January 2012
Twenty top predictions for life 100 years from now
Last week the BBC asked readers for their predictions of life in 100 years time. Inspired by ten 100-year predictions made by American civil engineer John Elfreth Watkins in 1900, many of you wrote in with your vision of the world in 2112...
1. Oceans will be extensively farmed and not just for fish
2. We will have the ability to communicate through thought transmission
3. Thanks to DNA and robotic engineering, we will have created incredibly intelligent humans who are immortal
4. We will be able to control the weather
5. Antarctica will be "open for business"
6. One single worldwide currency
7. We will all be wired to computers to make our brains work faster
8. Nanorobots will flow around our body fixing cells, and will be able to record our memories
9. We will have sussed nuclear fusion
10. There will only be three languages in the world - English, Spanish and Mandarin
11. Eighty per cent of the world will have gay marriage
12. California will lead the break-up of the US
13. Space elevators will make space travel cheap and easy
14. Women will be routinely impregnated by artificial insemination rather than by a man
15. There will be museums for almost every aspect of nature, as so much of the world's natural habitat will have been destroyed
16. Deserts will become tropical forests
17. Marriage will be replaced by an annual contract
18. Sovereign nation states will cease to exist and there will be one world government
19. War by the West will be fought totally by remote control
20. Britain will have had a revolution
Click here for full descriptions of above and more info.