The TARDIS, drawn off course by the most unlikely distress signal, materialises outside of time and space itself. In this bubble universe, the Doctor meets Idris and her aunt and uncle, who live together in a scrapyard of impossible things. Idris, it seems, is mad. And when the Doctor finds out why she is the way she is, things start to get a bit complicated. And unmentionable.The quote:
The Doctor: "Time Lord emergency messaging system. Like a flare pistol. In an emergency, we'd wrap up our thoughts in psychic containers and send them through time and space. OK, not like a flare pistol. Anyway there's a living Time Lord still out there! And it's one of the good ones!"
Rory: "You said there weren't any Time Lords left."
Doctor: "There aren't. No Time Lords left anywhere in the universe. But the universe isn't where we're going."And, again thanks to DWTV, Gaiman clarified a few key points.
- This story will change the way we see a key part of series' mythology.
- We see an infinite TARDIS corridor (pictured below).
- Originally there was a "TARDIS hall of mirrors" that instead got replaced with an "Ood being really scary in the dark".
- There was going to be a TARDIS swimming pool scene, but it was too expensive to film.
- The episode was originally going to have Rory trapped in the Zero Room.
Because of all this and more, "The Doctor's Wife" has proven to be easily one of the most anticipated episodes of the year — and that's really saying something!